2.12.2018

Battle of Beauty: Drugstore Foundations

We all know the wide range of beauty products out there -- some good, some not so good. Some people spend a lot on their make up, and some choose not to. And that's okay. I get it. Especially if you aren't someone who wears a lot to begin with or doesn't wear it on a daily basis (work from homers --- raising my hand). This is going to be the first part of my beauty series: drugstore foundations!

A couple weeks ago, I hit Ulta and headed straight over to the drugstore area. Literally, I had no method to picking up the foundations that I did other than choosing more well known brands that could be found no matter where you go, CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, etc etc. I was actually pretty surprised with my findings...honest. To be totally transparent, I did no prior research to buying these, and I applied these all the SAME way. I used my Beauty Blender and the same primer (I got this as a sample and I am OBSESSED!).

Here are the four that I chose to test.





1. COVERGIRL Clean Liquid Foundation  This was my least favorite. First thing being is that it doesn't have any type of dispenser. You twist of the cap and then what? Carefully pour it on the back of your hand? Pour it on your beauty blender? No thanks. Also, it had a weird smell. Coverage was eh. Color range was about 12 different ones. Not bad but not great. It was also the cheapest of all 4 foundations. {$}

2. NYX Total Control Drop Foundation  This was in my top 2. You use a dropper to dispense which I liked. It also is very liquid-y but goes on great. The finish is powdery/matte. Coverage was wonderful, and I likened this to my not so cost friendly Laura Mercier foundation that I LOVE. One thing I will say about the NYX....do NOT use a mattifying primer. First time I tried to apply it, I used this primer (which I love ESP for the summertime). While it is a great primer, it does not match well with this foundation. Use something a bit more hydrating (like this one), and it will go on flawlessly. Shade range is phenomenal on this one with a total of 29 colors. {$$}

3. L'OREAL True Match Lumi Foundation This foundation is very nice. It does give a luminescent finish if that's what you are looking for. I would say this may not be the best foundation for someone who has super oily skin (especially during the summer); however, it is great for winter/spring in my personal opinion. I tend to run on the oily side so while I still liked this, it wasn't at the top of my list because I know it would be sliding off my face once this Texas heat hits. The shade range is decent with a total of 15 colors. It also has a pump for dispensing which I really like. Also contains a broad spectrum SPF of 20. {$$}

4. REVLON PhotoReady Airbrush Effect Foundation  This was a great foundation. It is described as medium to full coverage which I completely agree with. It, too, is a pump dispenser like the L'Oreal foundation. The consistency is thicker on this one however on the skin, it does not feel heavy/cakey. It also has a broad spectrum SPF of 20. It gives a bit of a luminescent finish but nothing like the L'Oreal. The one drawback to this one is that the overall shade range is less to be desired with only 6 colors (WHAT?!). Luckily, they had a shade that worked for me. {$$}

Overall, the Revlon and NYX foundations were my favorites. They stayed on. They covered well. And the price points were not bad at all. Neither of these 2 products caused any breakouts when wearing them. And I have worn both multiple times because I do like them so much. Be sure to let me know if you have tried or currently use these or are going to try. Are there any others out there that are off the charts? Send me your recs!!


No comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished